RELM Sports High School Hockey Showcase Tournament Rules
December 4-5, 2023
Welcome to Kingston! We are so excited to host your teams for our 15th annual High School Hockey Showcase. Coaches are asked to register their team 45 minutes prior to the start of their first tournament game.
1. Hockey Canada rules & OMHA regulations will govern all games with the following additional rules for the tournament operation.
2. Team must register at the Tournament Office prior to their first game. Teams are to present their Roster prior to their first game.
3. All teams are guaranteed 3 games.
4. Only players on the approved roster are eligible to play in the tournament.
5. Teams must be prepared to play up to 15 minutes before their schedules start time.
6. Home jerseys will be white (or lighter colour). If a colour conflict arises, the home team will be asked to wear their alternate set. If the home team does not have an alternate set, the visiting team will be asked to wear their alternate set.
7. If there is a 5-goal spread in the 3rd period, the clock shall become run time until the spread is reduced to less than 5 goals. If during the run time a penalty is assessed, 2-minute penalties will be posted as 3-minutes and 5-minute penalties will be posted as 7-minutes.
8. No time outs in the preliminary games. One 30-second time out per team, per game, in playoffs.
9. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to make decisions regarding interpretation of the rules, objections and protests. All decisions are final.
10. Team association rules in effect for all equipment requirements – including mouthguards and neck guards.
11. There will be no protests entertained on referee’s decisions. All other decisions on rules, protests and conduct will be made by the Tournament Committee and are final.
12. It is the responsibility of the coaches and team officials to ensure that there are 2 team officials (or designated parents) in the dressing room with the players at all times, from the time the players enter the room to the last player leaving. Dressing rooms are to be cleared, inspected and keys left in the dressing room door within 30 minutes of the game ending. The bench and dressing room is to be cleaned by departing team. Any damage found by arriving team is to be reported to the tournament office. Any damages that occur will be the responsibility of the team and bills for damages will be assessed and could result in the team being expelled from the balance of the tournament.
13. Game duration: stop time in minutes – all round robin games will be curfewed after their allotted time.
Junior Tier 3
14. Pre-game Warm-Ups: The warm up will be posted at 3 minutes.
15. The handshake will take place at the end of the game in a timely manner.
16. Ice will be flooded prior the start of each game.
17. No body checking unless informed otherwise by the Tournament Director.
18. All misconducts, major penalties, and match penalties will be reviewed by the Tournament Director. Any fighting penalty will result in immediate tournament expulsion.
19. Any player or coaching staff receiving a Match Penalty is suspended for the rest of the tournament.
20. Referees and tournament officials will have zero tolerance for profanity, obscene gestures, discriminatory slurs and verbal abuse from coaches, players and parents.
21. Any team playing with a suspended player will have that game(s) defaulted by a 3-0 score and the Head Coach suspended for 3 games.
Tie Breaker & Standings
Following are the tie breaking rules for determining Division standings:
1. Most Points (2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss)
2. Winner of head-to-head game (only if two teams are tied)
3. Goal Differential: [Goals For ÷ (Goals For + Goals Against)]
4. Fewest goals against
5. Fewest penalty minutes in all games played
6. The team that scored the earliest goal in their round robin game involving the tied teams
7. Coin flip (team from farthest away will call the flip, winner of flip gets higher position)
* Odd number of teams provision, states that one team may be required to play an additional preliminary game. After the preliminary games are finished, the Coach for this team will attend the Tournament Office and one game will be removed from their standings at random so their standings are based on the same number of games played as the other teams.
22. No overtime in round robin games.
23. Semi Final and Championship games:
a. if tied, a 5 minute 4 on 4 over time will take place (teams do not change ends).
b. In the event the game remains tied after 5 minutes, a best of three alternating shootout will occur, with the home team shooting second. The coach must indicate on the game sheet the starting three shooters prior to the game. If still tied a sudden victory shootout will commence with the rest of the team’s players. No player may shoot twice until all players on the team (except goaltenders) have had a turn.